FAQ - Worker's Compensation

What should I do if I am injured where I work?

A: Your injury should be reported to your supervisor or foreman as soon as possible regardless of how serious the injury is. You should try to make sure that a written report is filled out to document your injury.

What if my injury requires medical services?

A: Medical services are covered by the workers' compensation act for injuries that arise out of and in the course of your employment.

What if I cannot work and lose wages?

A: If you are out of work for more than 5 days, whether or not they are consecutive, you are entitled to receive weekly benefits. The amount that you are entitled to be paid is 60% of your average weekly wage, which is federal and state tax free.

Should I hire a lawyer and how much would it cost?

A: The workers' compensation system is a very complicated system and it is advisable that you should have a lawyer to represent you. Any legal fees, with one exception, are paid by the insurance companies. The insurance companies and/or your employer will have a lawyer to represent them so you should have an attorney to represent you.

What if my employer/insurance company refuses to pay me?

A: You then need to file a formal claim with the industrial accident board and have a conference in front of an industrial accident board judge.

Does the insurance company have a right to have me examined by a doctor of their choosing?

A: Generally yes.

What if I can return to work on a limited or part time basis and cannot earn the same amount of money before I was hurt?

A: The workers' compensation act provides that you can receive partial incapacity compensation as determined by a formula to make up part of the difference.

Am I entitled to any other benefits under workers' compensation?

A: Generally you are entitled for benefits for any scarring that you have as a result of your injury on your face, hands or your neck. You are further entitled to benefits for any permanent loss of function of a particular body part. You are entitled to be evaluated to see if you qualify for retraining through the office of education and vocational rehabilitation. Lastly, you are entitled to mileage for travel to doctor's visits, physical therapy, hospital visits, or any other medical treatment at a rate of $.45 cents a mile.

If I get hurt on the job, what should I do?

You should immediately tell your supervisor or someone in your HR department, and then get help with your injuries. It's imperative that you file the accident with your work, or you may be denied any disability or worker's compensation benefits for your injuries. We can help you file your worker's compensation documents according to your company's guidelines. If you already applied and were turned down for your benefits, give us a call to get your case assessed. We'll help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries on the job.

Free Attorney Consultation

Contact me, attorney Dennis Bisio, to schedule a free initial consultation to answer your questions about workers' compensation. In-home, evening and weekend appointments are available by appointment.